We always have a version of this home-made granola in our pantry. I say “a version” because you really can shape the ingredients to your personal taste or dietary requirements. It’s brilliant with yoghurt for breakfast, and enjoyed just as much after dinner with some stewed fruit and custard for a quick dessert!
Mix it up by adding your favourite dried fruit after baking, or experiment with different spices like cardamon and nutmeg. The options are endless.
3 cups rolled oats
3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 1/2 cup raw almonds (sliced almonds if you prefer)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 150 degrees C. Line an extra large baking tray, or two regular-sized baking trays (choose trays with sides if you can, for ease of stirring later).
- Pop the oats, coconut, nuts, seeds, spices and salt into a large mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut oil, honey and vanilla until easily pourable. Mix the three together to combine.
- Pour the liquid into the bowl with dry ingredients and stir until everything is coated evenly and mixed.
- Spread the mixture out evenly across the baking trays and bake for about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through the baking process. Keep an eye on it. You’ll be looking to achieve a golden-brown, crisp granola.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool on the trays to room temperature
- Transfer granola into an air-tight container and store at room temperature.
- Mix through your favourite chopped dried fruit after the granola has cooled.
- Substitute ground cloves for ground cardamon or ground nutmeg for a different flavour
Sign up to our newsletter Pantry Notes today to have recipes and more delivered straight to your inbox.