I’m always up for a savoury breakfast. While the rest of my family reach for cereal, I go for eggs, avocado on toast, or these Speedy Breakfast Beans. With a subtle spice and smokiness and a tomato hit you’ll love, these beans will have you satisfied and ready to conquer the day.
They also work well shared with friends in a brunch scenario. Add some sourdough toast, poached eggs, fresh rocket, and fetta. Bon appetit!
500g ripe tomatoes, chopped roughly
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
800g canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (approx 500g after draining)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Drain and rinse beans. Set aside.
- Put all other ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Let the mixture simmer on low and reduce until it because a saucy thickness.
- When you’ve reached your desired consistency, stir in the beans gently and allow them to heat through. Take them off the heat – don’t leave them to cook as this will result in a mush.
- Serve with rocket and fetta, and a crusty toast if desired.
- If tomatoes aren’t in season or you just don’t have any available at the time of cooking, the equivalent weight in canned diced tomatoes can work.
- These beans also keep pretty well in the freezer if you wanted to make a bigger batch and keep portions for later. Simply let them thaw in the fridge overnight and then give a good mix, to ensure liquids are mixed well back into the sauce, and gently heat.
Sign up to our newsletter Pantry Notes today to have recipes and more delivered straight to your inbox.